Who am I?
Hello! I'm Michael Campbell.
In a world filled with designers and niche specialists, how am I any different? I am a designer, interactive/front-end developer, an illustrator and an international award-winning graphic journalist with a proven track record in developing effective digital storytelling through design, illustration, interactives and information graphics. In addition, I'm a digital strategist experienced in social media strategy, web analytics, SEO best practices and with this wide skill set I can help you tell your story through visual elements and strategy.
What is Cruachan?
Cruachan (Pronounced kroo-han), is the name of a mountain located in the highlands of Scotland near Loch Awe. The area surrounding this mountain is where the Campbell's originate. Totally awesome side note: It also served as the Clan Campbell battle cry. CRUACHAN!
Get in Touch
If your next project requires an illustration, if you need a designer, interactive work, or an infographic - or all of the above - then contact me to help work with you to develop a solution.
Use this form to say "Hi!" and I'll be in touch to discuss your hopes, fears and dreams.
Boards and Related Activities
- Ivy Tech State College Visual Communication Advisory Board
- Stopover, Inc. - Board member, Public Awareness Committee
- Volunteer: Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Indiana
- Volunteer: The Junior League of Indianapolis
- Volunteer: Indiana Sports Corporation (Youthlinks)
- Volunteer: Stanley K. Lacy Executive Leadership Series
- Volunteer: Reach For Youth, Inc.
- Volunteer: League of Women Voters
- Volunteer: Y-Me of Indiana
- Volunteer: Friends of Animal Care and Control
- Volunteer: Hoosiers for Huskers
- 2017: Indiana Society of Professional Journalists, 1st Place - Best Journalism Website. Judge’s comments: “Indystar.com's custom projects, stories, databases and interactives stood above the rest.”
- 2017: Indiana Society of Professional Journalists, 1st Place - Graphics and Illustrations ("Ray Adams: A Predator's Trail" timeline)
- 2016: Best of USA TODAY Network Awards - 1st Place (Public Service/Watchdog) Out of Balance Investigative series.
- 2016: Best of USA TODAY Network Awards - 1st Place (Writing) "Paula Cooper: The Executioner Within"
- 2016: Q4 USA Today Network Journalism Award - Public Service/Watchdog (Winner) - Out of Balance investigative series.
- 2016: Q4 USA Today Network Journalism Award - Writing (Winner) - "Paula Cooper: The Executioner Within"
- 2016: USA Today Network Awards, 1st Quarter Consumer Engagement and Experience (Malt Madness Bracket)
- 2016: INAPME, 1st Place Best Illustration or Graphic (USS Indianapolis timeline)
- 2016: INAPME, 3rd Place Best Illustration or Graphic (Star Wars Character Poll)
- 2014: Tennessee Press Association, 1st Place Best Graphics and/or Illustrations (Music City Center)
- 2014: Gannett 1st Quarter Innovation Finalist (Buck Fever)
- 2014: 64th Annual Green Eyeshade Awards: Newspaper Graphics, 1st Place (Music City Center)
- 2014: 64th Annual Green Eyeshade Awards: Digital Media Presentation, 2nd Place (Because of You)
- 2014: 64th Annual Green Eyeshade Awards: Digital Media Presentation, 3rd Place (Nashville Rising: 50 years of Metro)
- 2014: TNAPME 1st Place Multimedia, (Because of You)
- 2013: Online Journalism Awards finalist Planned News/Events, (Because of You)
- 2013: Tennessee Press Association, 1st Place Best Special Issue or Section (Concussions - The Invisible Injury)
- 2013: Tennessee Press Association, 1st Place Best Graphics and/or Illustrations (Anatomy of a Concussion)
- 2012: 63rd Annual Green Eyeshade Awards: Newspaper Graphics, 3rd Place (Concussions - The Invisible Injury)
- 2012: Gannett 4th Quarter Award of Excellence Finalist: In-Depth Journalism (Concussions)
- 2012: Associated Press Sports Editors (APSE) Top 10 (1st place - Best sports special section) for special sections: Concussions
- 2011: Hoosier State Press Association (HSPA) Best use of Graphics: 1st Place
- 2011: Associated Press Managing Editors (APME) Use of Graphics: 3rd Place
- 2009-10: SNDie Quarterly Award (Inside the Monument)
- 2009: HSPA Best use of Graphics: Staff Portfolio
- 2009: SNDie Quarterly Award (First 100 Days)
- 2009: SNDie Quarterly Award (John Dillinger)
- 2009: SNDie Quarterly Award (IMS Crash Database)
- 2009: SNDie Quarterly Award (Mapping the Economy)
- 2008: SNDie Monthly Award (Life on the Edge)
- 2006: 28th SND Award of Excellence: Staff Portfolio
- 2004: Gannett 4th Quarter Runner-up: Visual Presentation